There are several things I’d wish I was, mostly out of curiosity: what would my life be if I was something different than Italian? what if I had a six pack or if I was able to deliver a quick, fierce comeback discussing? stuff like that…
But if I actually have to name one thing I wish I was, I would say I’d wish I was more “creative”.
Don’t get me wrong: I have my moments and in my job I think I have a creative approach to problem solving, but to be honest I’ve never been the kind of guy with distruptive ideas, I will never be the one who creates the next facebook or invents a shiny thing that will solve problems or will change people’s life.
But that’s ok, I can live with it, I’m not complaining.
This was actually only a long and boring introduction to the post, which is a list of some I discovered in 2014 and worth sharing
- Real life is the game that — literally — everyone is playing. But it can be tough. This is your guide.
- Conserve the sound is an online museum for vanishing and endangered sounds. The sound of a dial telephone, a walkman, a analog typewriter, a pay phone, a 56k modem, a nuclear power plant or even a cell phone keypad are partially already gone or are about to disappear from our daily life.
- An illustrated collection of (sometimes violent) fables concerning the Art and Philosophy of software development, written in the spirit of Zen kōans
- “Literary elites love to rep Shakespeare’s vocabulary: across his entire corpus, he uses 28,829 words, suggesting he knew over 100,000 words and arguably had the largest vocabulary, ever. I decided to compare this data point against the most famous artists in hip hop.”
Who has the Largest Vocabulary in Hip Hop? (Spoiler: Aesop Rock)
- Deep Dark Fears
- During 2014 I spent most time listening to “Olio, Benzina e Cherosene” (video on top) than anything else. I would assume because the mood of this song perfectly suited my “Hokuto no ken” manga reading time and in 2014 I dedicated quite some time reading comics on the tube
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- Every goal scored in the football World Cup, by minute
- One Band Have Worked Out a Way to Cheat Spotify out of Money
- World Cup YouPorn Traffic from Italy and the United Kingdom was down nearly 40% but started to increase sharply at half-time. Italy won the match 2-1 and fans there bucked the trend and headed back to YouPorn in droves to celebrate their win
- There is nothing. Solve
- 2014 was a rather bright year for Italian comics: Gipi’s Unastoria was nominated for Premio Strega, a renowned Italian literary prize, while ZeroCalcare’s Dimentica il mio Nome rocketeed to the top of the best selling books charts
- SpotiPi: a Cassette Player Turned Into Spotify Media Server
- a special mention to Monicelli, an esoteric language, come se fosse antani (sorry folks, this is pretty much untranslatable)